Thursday 23 February 2012

For lent I'm giving up...


I am bored of the number of people asking me what I'm giving up or telling me what they are doing for lent. It's great that people are embracing lent but I just feel bragging about how hard the next 6 weeks is going to be just isn't the right way to show faith.

The gospel on Ash Wednesday made it quite clear that those who shout about their good deeds and complain about hardships have already received their rewards in the eyes of God. We need to carry on as normal when we fast, keep silent when struggling with our self denial and pray to God privately. I feel it is important to make sacrifices during lent to prepare for the celebration of Easter. We should deny ourselves something that causes us joy. We should be truly selfless, giving up cake to loose weight is not an act for God it is a selfish act for our own vanity. I personally will not be shouting my lenten resolutioions from the nearest rooftop as they are only for God.

I also think we should take this attitude to help us make the right choices in life. To do selfless deeds for God and not for instant gratification, to make the right decision even when its the difficult option and not feel hard done by. Lets not give to receive, lets give our lives and our love to everyone and not expect any rewards except those that are awaiting us in heaven.

YCM


No comments:

Post a Comment