Thursday 22 March 2012

Crisis of faith..


Having beliefs is hard, very hard. It's very easy to see why we try to surround ourselves with people who have much in common with us. I was speaking to someone recently who has moved to the area to study, he asked where he could meet young catholics. I recommended a few local events and groups and it made me think about his logic. Its much easier to be around people who agree with us, but does it strengthen or diminish our faith. Should I go away and live in a community detached from the world or shout bible verses in the street?

I'm attending Flame in London this weekend and I know before opening my mouth that most of the people I talk to will be Catholics, the fact they are attending a conference means they are active within their faith on some level. This will most probably fill me with the joy of the holy spirit and top up my faith and help me to be strong. If my life was like that all the time it would not give me the chance to live my life through adversity. I've recently had a few heated discussions with an atheist friend, I work with non-believers and after posting on a channel 4 page about Saints I received many replies questioning my religion. I didn't create my church, I'm don't decide it's teachings, but because I'm a Catholic I get attacked for my beliefs. It's much easier to follow the crowd, nod and agree your way through life without confrontation. But I don't, I stand up for my beliefs, I protect the teachings of my church and I'm criticized for my opinions. It can feel very lonely and can make you start to look at your own beliefs through the eyes of those that criticize. We have to live our life like Jesus even when we can't feel His love. That's why I started this post with John 3:16, a verse that is overused because of it's power but can help each one of us when we need strength.

But if life was easy all the time then I wouldn't need Jesus, if everyone agreed with me then I could not be as much of a witness to my faith. Everyone who is strong in their beliefs is open for attack, that includes all religions and atheists. But it is very draining to think you are alone, to have your fundamentals challenged constantly, we need topping up, we need support from our peers.

My faith is strong because I share my life with believers, but it is stronger because I live my faith surrounded by non-believers. Only then can Jesus see we are true to Him and doing what we can to spread his love.

YCM

2 comments:

  1. I have searched the internet for something that i could relate to, and some how came across this... especially the constant questions about your faith, the parties you go to where as soon as someone hears theres a catholic in the room its time to have a debate!! Iv heard every Hitchins, Dawkins, "organised religion" debate going!! ... and it is so fraining. I just had this converation this very morning with my mother... I said to her that sometimes its so hard because the more you progress or develop in your faith, the more sensitive to things you become ... the more you dont seem to fit in with the friends you have or housemates youve lived with for ages. ..

    I guess what I am saying is that its a comfort to know that your not the only person who feels the struggles of feeling like the only cathoilic in the village! ;) haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, it's wonderful to know that my blog is having the desired effect and reaching people like you. It's very hard to be Catholic at the moment, there are many arguments people can use against us and the church needs people like us to stay strong. We get so much peace, security and love from our faith and by showing this in our lives others will follow.

      Haha I know your feeling about being the only Catholic in the village, it can sometimes feel like an attack whenever people have a few drinks and decide to start a religious debate. The fact that people are aiming it at you shows you are strong in your faith. You are a beacon and as much as they seem to harvest anger it is usually because they want your strength.

      Always remember that Jesus loves you, God loves you and the Holy Spirit will be with us always to guide and protect you.


      YCM

      Delete