Saturday 27 April 2013

Divine mercy..



Earlier this month we celebrated Divine Mercy Sunday, this was declared by Pope John Paul II in 2000. The Divine Mercy is a prayer that is prayed on rosary beads and was given to Saint Faustina by a vision of Jesus. It is a wonderful and powerful prayer and is usually said for those who have died to pray for the mercy of Jesus.

I was not aware of the Divine Mercy until recently when I was asked to say the Novena from Good Friday until Divine Mercy Sunday. I didn't even know how to say it and was given a booklet explaining it. I also downloaded the app which was much easier to follow and allowed me to pray the Divine Mercy at night before I went to sleep.

The power of this prayer can be explained in the words of Jesus:

'Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinite mercy'

Very powerful words indeed. The prayer is simple to say and quicker than saying a rosary. I recommend downloading the free app or getting a Divine Mercy booklet from a religious stall. The main prayer prayed on the Our Father beads is:

'Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world'

Then on the Hail Mary beads the following is recited:

'For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world'

The prayer brings us closer to Jesus and His mercy, it also helps us meditate on the passion and remember what he went through for us and all of mankind. I began my novena after watching Mel Gibson's, Passion of Christ so the torture, blood and disfigurement of Jesus were fresh in my mind as I was praying for His mercy. It is said to be most powerful when prayed during the hour after 3pm, the time of Jesus' death.

I highly recommend any of you to say the Divine Mercy, if only once, and if you like to read you should definitely get Sr. Faustina's Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul.

May God bless you all with His abundant love.

YCM

No comments:

Post a Comment